Labels

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday Monster Task: Step One of Ten

Reason: If I have completely cleared out my filing cabinet, then I can get rid of filing cabinet and replace it with two 2!! TWO Bookcases! Full of Books that I love!! :D


<- This is me when my books are home.


Did I mention that the reason why I have so much paper is because most all of my papers are financial, and I have tax returns and their accompanying evidence back to 1988. So yeah about 25 years of tax, and seriously, we only have to keep 5 years for the ATO. (ATO = Taxman in Australia).

The Plan:


1. Collect all the papers into one spot, and sort them into two piles - stuff I have to keep, and stuff I can throw out. Status: Complete 07/01/2012 5pm Time Taken: 4 hours.

2.  Sort the ones I have to keep into 5 piles, one for each year that I'm keeping.

3. For each pile, sort the papers into receipts and statements and tax papers. For ease of storing.

4. Make sure that the spreadsheets for each pile is stored in a useful place on my PC. Make sure that all the details in the spreadsheet, and all the papers in the pile tally. (Expecting that some papers have gone the way of all flesh).

5. For this years pile, and last years pile - make sure that all the data is entered into the spreadsheet for taxation purposes. Last year was a dog, and I didn't do any paperwork. So much needs to be done.

6. Go out and buy 5 nice new folders from Officework. These are the concertina thingies I'm talking about here that have pockets for different things. Status: Complete 13/01/2012

7. Once all the piles are sorted, collated, and audited - put them into their nice new folders that are labelled with the year on the outside.

8. Store the nice new folders in an appropriate place, and celebrate with a happy dance.

9. Include on the schedule - throwing out the oldest folder's paperwork as a part of doing the taxation every year.

10. Do another Happy Dance!

Today's Plan: Do Step 1.

I have Emptied the Filing Cabinet, brought the dining table into the living room, and dumped all the papers onto the table. I have also brought the roll of garbage bags from the kitchen.

Dining room table will live in Living room until steps are completed.


Now turning on loud music and throwing things into large garbage bags!

5 comments:

  1. 4 hours later. Now in 1 packed full Garbage bag - all the stuff to go. In two Kasset Boxes (of the large variety unfortunately) the papers I have to sort through.

    Step 1 is complete!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are right, this is truly exciting.

    I bow before your greatness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *claps hands and joins in on the happy dance* You're doing soooo good!!!!! *proud and thrilled and all of that* This sound like it's something that actually works for you.

    BTW, have you seen Bing Bang Theory? It's got nothing to do with this blog but I'm too lazy/tired to write a mail right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you a lot yay! *hugs* I hope you're having all fun and stuff and it sounds like you're doing awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Emby, Annefia and Medleymisty ((hugs))

    I am having fun - the thought of bringing my books home makes this fun and exciting!

    Also it's getting less and less stressful as the clutter moves out and the comfiness moves in :)

    Annefia: Nope - never seen Big Bang Theory although it's on my list as I've heard it's good!

    ReplyDelete