Labels

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 4: Utilising your Strengths

Did you know that I have strengths? I didn't. I'm not talking about things like sense of humour and smart, and that sort of thing.

I'm talking about :

Via Institute on Character

There's a self-test that you can do there that is quite long. But what you end up with (if you choose the free summary) is a list of all the strengths in order.

The plan for week 4 is to look at these strengths and utilise them in the way you would do your goals.

These are mine:

Your Top Character Strength
Love of learning
You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

Utilising this strength: That's easy - it's all the research over the net, doing the happiness diet in the first place, and creating this blog to research and follow up what I'm doing.

Your Second Character Strength
Appreciation of beauty and excellence
You notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.

Utilising this strength: I don't know. I suppose making my home beautiful is using this, but how do I do it for the health-related goals.

Your Third Character Strength
Fairness, equity, and justice
Treating all people fairly is one of your abiding principles. You do not let your personal feelings bias your decisions about other people. You give everyone a chance.

Utilising this strength: I need to give myself a chance. I also need to call myself out when I'm slacking or procrastinating. Humm..... Not easy. When I'm whiney, being fair and calling myself out feels like punishment.

Your Fourth Character Strength
Forgiveness and mercy
You forgive those who have done you wrong. You always give people a second chance. Your guiding principle is mercy and not revenge.

Utilising this strength: I suspect not beating myself up when I fail is the goal here - especially when I'm being whiney. OK. How do I combine this one with the previous one?

Your Fifth Character Strength
Kindness and generosity
You are kind and generous to others, and you are never too busy to do a favor. You enjoy doing good deeds for others, even if you do not know them well.

Utilising this strength: No idea. How do I do kindness and generousity for my goals?


Character Strength #6
Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith
You have strong and coherent beliefs about the higher purpose and meaning of the universe. You know where you fit in the larger scheme. Your beliefs shape your actions and are a source of comfort to you.

Utilising this strength: OK. This one is easy. Get God involved. Well actually he's been involved from the beginning. God loves me, and I should be looking after his beloved in the way he would want me to. I'm the one with the bad behaviour.

Character Strength #7
Curiosity and interest in the world
You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Utilising this strength: See Point 1. Pretty much got it covered.


Character Strength #8
Humor and playfulness
You like to laugh and tease. Bringing smiles to other people is important to you. You try to see the light side of all situations.

Utilising this strength: Maybe this is the way to deal with the whinyness - laugh at it! :D I can do that.

Character Strength #9
Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness
Thinking things through and examining them from all sides are important aspects of who you are. You do not jump to conclusions, and you rely only on solid evidence to make your decisions. You are able to change your mind.

Utilising this strength: Also part of Strength 1.

Character Strength #10
Leadership
You excel at the tasks of leadership: encouraging a group to get things done and preserving harmony within the group by making everyone feel included. You do a good job organizing activities and seeing that they happen.

Utilising this strength. This one is an unwanted strength. I hate being a leader except when I have to be, and I prefer to be one that lets others get on with it rather than being an overlord. Also organising others is super-stressful. I think I'll skip this one.

1 comment:

  1. That site must be very good because I agree with all of these strengths. It's a very true description of you (even though your strengths of course are only a part of your and I love all parts, even the weaknesses).

    As for the fifth one, I say just continue being the way you are will help you achieve you goals because this makes both old and new friends love you very much and old and new friends will be helpful while working towards your goals.

    And as for the 10th one, I've seen you be a leader in a very un-overlordy way at SPG. Being a leader doesn't have to mean in the traditional work place kind of way where you boss people around it can just as well mean that you're good at inspiring others and encourage them to get on with it and do their own thing, helping them believe that they can and showing them that it's okay. I wouldn't have picked you as mod and later hand over the forum to you if I didn't think you were good at being a leader the way I think leaders should be.

    ReplyDelete