Labels

Friday, December 16, 2011

Goals, Goalies, Times, and Timing.

Making some goals is easy. Trying to work out how and when and what and why - not so much.

The obvious goals so far:


House into Home:

1. Remove all the boxes from Friend's house by end of 2012. This will require me to declutter, purge, categorise, donate, sell and freecycle.

a. Take a load of boxes every month home.
b. Sort through loads of boxes, and put things in an appropriate place within first week.
c. Send things out for donation (via friend and her car).

2.  Create appropriate places for all the activities of my life. - End of March 2012. Can't remove boxes if I don't have places to put things.

a. Provide a storage solution (tall bookcase with glass in doors) for destructo-cat-free place to put heirloom china, BJD's and other breakables that are nice for looking. Started 20/01/2012

b. Create space in living room for at least 2 bookcases of tall height - for the putting of books. 20/01/2012 DONE!!!!

c. Create Craft area/storage solution. Ideally a place where I can fold out my sewing machine to use, and then close the doors afterwards for protection of stuff from cats and cats from stuff.

d. Maximise archival possibilities in Pantry.

e. Archival of business/financial/personal paperwork - requires importantly to sort through the filing cabinet - and DO THE PAPERWORK. Doing the paperwork needs to be another goal - It is awesome and overwhelming in itself.

Outstanding problems without goals or solutions.... AS YET:

2 bedroom house into 1 bedroom house - there will be stuff that doesn't have an appropriate place but is also not something to throw out.

How to fit 13 bookcases of books into 2 bookcases. Sorted!

Filing Cabinet is big, full, and heavy and needs to go. This requires me to do the paperwork in the filing cabinet and find an archival system that will work. I have paperwork outstanding from 2000 - 2006 when I had a company. 12 years of paperwork is a lot of space. Sorted. Filing Cabinet left to find a new home 18/01/2012

5 comments:

  1. Phew! That sounds like lots of work and lots of stuff to fit in to a small place. I know the feeling of getting much smaller space for all your things after a move but I suspect my apartment is bigger than yours in square meters. Is it? And do you have some kind of storage possibilities outside the apartment? I have two storage "rooms" in the basement luckily. When you rent an apartment here it usually include a storage area in the attic or basement of the house.

    As for books, I have placed mine in to rows behind each other and I also have books piled up on each other. It doesn't look very neat but that why I hid it behind fabric. Hiding thing behind fabric is my best interior decoration/storage tips.

    I've also seen really nice wardrobes turn in to craft areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some samples:

    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FvyYWdhX7ks/S6uqBRaXxII/AAAAAAAACLs/dKRLXRJGG3g/s1600-h/Graham%20%26%20Brown%2C%20Kontoret%20i%20garderoben%5B4%5D.jpg

    http://vaniljbullen.webblogg.se/images/2011/img_4828_151645268.jpg

    http://downsizemyspace.com/?p=1130#hide

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your place is much bigger than my place. Thinking about it - your place is about twice the size of my place. And no, I don't have any external storage spaces either.

    Bookcase wise - my books are already double placed on each shelf. Yes. I have that many books. Um between 30-50 boxes of them. So there will be much weeding out of books.

    I love that first picture of the wardrobe. It's one I could really go for if I can find a place to put it.

    The third link looks like my kind of space! :D Actually I'm going to bookmark that site - I hadn't found it before.

    Thanks Fia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound like good goals. Specially the cabinet and bookshelf. I'd like to be able to see your dolls again.

    Thinking ... maybe we should just swap filing cabinets? Ours could in some respects do with a clearout, but not that big a clearout, and there's stuff in bookshelves that could theoretically be filing cabinet fodder (like music f'rinstance). And ours might fit under your desk (unless you'd prefer to keep that space for your other plans).

    Hmmmm.... (*cogitates deeply*)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you would like both the first pic and that site.

    I had a feeling that even your big apartment were smaller than mine, wasn't it? I've got rid of lots of my books when we sold the house and well it wasn't exactly my choice at that time. I still have too many things though. It must be really tricky for you to fit yourself and all your things in such a small home with no storage rooms. See you should come live here in Sweden instead. *giggle* (I do suspect things are better in Denmark though)

    ReplyDelete