Labels

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week 3: Making Goals...

Haven't started/finished this weeks thing. I'm feeling pretty cool with the 'Vision of the Future' so I've already started breaking down into bits just naturally.

Maybe one of my strengths is analysis? Don't mind me thinking about strengths. That's week 4.

I started to read Week 3, and then realised I'd prefer it in print. So off up to the Post Office tomorrow to get it hard-copied.

I've made goals before but I'm a procrastinator when it comes to my own things. Work deadlines? Yeah - I'm good with them. Deadlines for me? Not a chance. Dustbunnie knows about that - So many things that she WILL eventually get, but haven't gotten round to them.

Anyways Goal Setting - this is what I need to think about when I make Goals:

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant
Timed
Extend
Review

In many ways it looks similiar to what we do with project management in the IT field. Breaking jobs up into smaller pieces, assigning people who can do it, giving them time limits. Working out dependancies and risks. Always trying to get more done for less time or money. The IT field was something I fell into because a career advisor thought it would flow with my love of maths.

To be honest, it IS something I've enjoyed - the thrill of learning new ways of thinking and analysing. But there's a lot of bureaucracy involved, office politics, quick and dirty rather than thorough and working - that often kills that enjoyment. I don't want to keep doing IT until I retire, unless I can do something else as well that gives me more. I can't deny that doing IT has changed the way I think. I do tend to be more methodical than I was. More focussed in what I'm doing. It's helped reduce the chaos in my thinking. And that's a good thing. Oh yes, where was I? Talking about goals and being focussed. LMAO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment